Monday 14 November 2016

#MusicMonday: Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen

Leonard Cohen died last week. In amongst everything else that was happening in the world it took a few days for it to hit my timeline and find out.  It was a weird hit. Leonard Cohen had lived a long life, was successful, had people that he loved. I didn't know him, but I had been listening to his music earlier on in the week and it felt weird that he wasn't around anymore.

I can't pinpoint the moment I first heard a Cohen song, my dad listened to him so I ought to have been young, so he was always there. Cohen had a voice you recognised, to often these days its hard to distinguish someones sound. But Cohen's voice was its own.

Hallelujah is one of those songs that it feels like everyone has covered but it never feels truly over done. I know a lot of people would like to see it put to rest.  But what a legacy to leave behind to pen lyrics that resonate with so many people and see artists take it on and feel the words.

So many beautiful covers exist of this song, Jeff Buckley, Kate Voegele, Kate McKinnon, Bob Dylan, Regina Spektor, Peter Hollens and so, so many more but tonight I leave you with the man that started it all Leonard Cohen, may he rest in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment