Thursday 28 May 2015

Girl Unmasked!

This is a post I have always thought about writing, I imagined myself going without make-up for a day where my life was in full swing instead of a homey day and see how it went. I figured that my no make-up me would be a lot like how I imagined no-phone me, relaxed and unbothered by the situation.  Though I know my anxieties about being make-up less I just thought when it happened i'd feel... empowered? Well, I was wrong.

My alarm didn't go off and to make it to work in time I went without make-up, I chucked some basic products in my bag, but was unable to pop something on whilst making my way there I started my shift with only moisturiser on... something I have never did and I have worked there 4 years.


I felt uncomfortable before I even began the shift. I became so aware of my skin. When I finally made it start my shift that only heightened... I work with the pubic, there's not a point at work where I am not interacting with someone.

To my surprise no-one mentioned my make-up-less-ness, but that didn't stop me from thinking about it every second. After 15 minutes I was thinking of excuses to be able to pop away and get some foundation on at least. After half an hour I was stressing so much about it I began to feel ill. After an hour I wanted to run and hide.

I didn't think it would effect me this much. I thought after  a while I wouldn't notice, its not as if I can see my own face, and I was the only one bothered by it.


Two hours into my shift I was sent for my break, instead of being annoyed how ridiculously early I was being sent for it, relief just washed over me. I popped onto the shop floor to buy some mascara and spent the half hour break putting on my make-up.

I had forgotten brushes and some parts of my usual make-up routine. So I didn't feel 100% comfortable still. But I felt so much better, I went on to continue my shift feeling more confident in my self, feeling a lot more like me.

So to be honest I don't care that I couldn't last a whole day without make-up, one day I will and I won't care... maybe I won't have such spot prone skin and be in the middle of a bad break-out. I'd rather feel comfortable, and that's what make-up does.

SO my conclusion is that whither your prefer sporting a full face of make-up or none at all, your preference is whats important, you get to be in control of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment