Thursday 12 May 2016

Plus Size at Alton Towers

Truth time
Going down to Alton Towers filled me with so much anxiety, I broke down in tears on more than one occasion in the weeks and days leading up to the trip. I'm not a crier, but there I was either having to hold back the tears, stop talking about the trip or full on  unconsolable sobbing. The thought of going just made me so uncomfortable. 

The last time I was down at Alton Towers was 2012 looking back I don't think I was that much bigger than I was but since I started monitoring my weight and measurements last year I have just felt huge. 

My trip to the theme park in 2012 was the second time I had been to Alton Towers and as someone who really loves roll coasters I was just really excited to go back. Until I experienced some of the most painful humiliation of my life. I was 17 and to big for Air.  

Air (now known as Galactica) doesn't just have over the top barriers but thigh locks, the couldn't get it locked to the satisfaction so after already having to move seat I made the even more embarrassing walk off the ride.  

So I wasn't really returning to Alton Towers with fond memories. 

But my friends wanted to go and kept reassuring me that I be fine, and really for myself mentally I really didn't think I should go, I was putting myself through a hell of a lot of stress to spend so much money. 

But most of my fears where unjust and I had a great day.  I will leave my measurements and ride experiences below. For all you plus sized folk who are going off to Alton Towers at any point. I didn't go back on Air or Galactica as it is now called and includes a virtual reality experienced, I'm still quite scarred from the experience and didn't even want to try the seat at the beginning of the ride.

Smiler: Perfectly fine, no extra pushes or anything, also included the nicest staff of the park.  Seats were perfectly comfortable. If you have any anxieties about it after the crash don't its probably now the safest ride in the park and is a really amazing rollercoaster. 

Oblivion: This ride contains two seat types, some have two buckles and some have one, I was moved to a two buckle seat as they have a little more room, the one buckle seat was literally like half an inch from pushing in so if your measurements are just slightly smaller than mine you will have no issues. 

THI3TEEN: An extra push to make sure it clicked but wasn't uncomfortable, staff were really nice about having to do so and double checked that I wasn't uncomfortable. 

Rita: A little anxiety before I got on this one as there was a walk off on the go before we went on. But this ride was fine, no extra pushes. 

Duel: Absolutely no worries here. Perfectly fine. 

Runaway Mine Train: No extra pushes here, but the guy did double check if I was comfortable, I'll admit it was a little tight but nothing to uncomfortable. 

Nemesis: Was moved rows to which most forums I have seen described as the big boy seats, once again a few inches smaller than me you will be completely fine. 

Congo River Rapids: Nothing to worry about on this. 

Spinball Whizzer: Now this one was a weird one, First time I went on it, it took an extra push a really skinny girl couldn't do it, but she got one of the other girls, and then that was it no bother just pushed. The second time however much different, now maybe 45 minutes had passed we had returned to smiler twice and as we were leaving passing this by we decided to just hop on one last time. It seemed like they were purposely trying to embarrass me. They stopped the ride the girl hopped on the track and told me she needed to here a certain number of clicks, I was like that fine I've literally just be on this ride, she didn't get them, so released it again told me to stand up change the position of my legs still no fit. At this point the two friends I had returned with who were sitting the opposite way where trying to work out what was going on. And we all explained that I had just been on the ride very unsympathetically I was told that she wasn't getting enough clicks so had to get off the ride. I felt so humiliated. 

Anyway if you do venture to Alton Towers I hope you have a lovely time. x


5 comments:

  1. Hi did you get on Galactica/air at all? I'm going in a few weeks and have the same size calves as you and really worried I won't fit x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't attempt at my recent trip due to bad memories, calves don't matter its the thighs. theres a seat outside that you can try. but we saw folk bigger than me (by how much I don't know go on the ride) it may depend on who is locking you in (some folk are just stronger and more persistent if its a bit of a squeeze) but if your thighs are a even a few inches smaller I don't see you having to much of a problem.

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to send you a huge thank you for this post. It is really helpful and kind of you to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to send you a huge thank you for this post. It is really helpful and kind of you to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! My measurements are round about the same as yours as most of my size is on my thighs/hips due to lipoedema. I'm going Alton Towers in the morning and it was so reassuring to find this!

    ReplyDelete