Monday 29 February 2016

#MusicMonday: Overreactivist - Wakey Wakey

This weeks Music Monday goes to an artist I have followed for what feels like forever. Its been just over 5 years since I first got to see Mike Grubbs of Wakey Wakey live. And since then I’ve been privileged enough to meet him, see the magic that is a live show many more times and watch his music evolve. 

"Overreactisvist" is the latest album from Wakey Wakey, released on Friday 26th of February, I watched so many people tweet about there love for this album before I finally found a moment to listen to it for myself. I was so hopeful for this album, I love "Salvation" I did… but I like the stripped version.  

So the original album though lyrically amazing was a little underwhelming… though at the time of release we had, had nothing since “Almost Everything I wish I’d said the last time I saw you..” which is a fantastic album and I urge all of you to go listen to it. So on Salvations original reason I was initially really complimentary about it, we’d be waiting for it forever and it was great… just when stripped it was so much more.

At first listen "Overreactivist" is the album Wakey Wakey fans deserve, it doesn’t matter if you are the Original listener, the One Tree Hill discoverer, or saw him live and fell in love. This album is for all of us. There's a song that will take you back and make you realise why you listen to this music and that moment will be brilliant. 

The passion you get at a live Wakey Wakey show pours out in each track. Each song beautifully arranged and lyrically compelling. Grubbs has always been a beautiful writer making you feel the emotion of the song whither its in his voice or in the way it is constructed. 

All in all I’m happy to hear new material from Wakey Wakey. I think I will always be interested in what Grubbs puts out. As my second live concert at 15 I feel emotionally invested in his career. I'm even happier when I genuinely enjoy the music. This album has so many tracks that I already love.


So go check out Overreactivist and have a listen to my personal favourites; HeartbrokeAdam and Eve, Homeless Poets, Still Life and C'est La Vie.

All the Links 

No comments:

Post a Comment