Wednesday 16 January 2019

Your Bad Day is Not an Excuse // Project 365 // Day 16


My day job, the one that pays the bills is a thankless task in a supermarket. I’m your checkout girl. You spend two minutes with me in an eight hour shift and can make a lasting impression. 

Don’t get me wrong a vast majority of the public can be lovely. I love a chat. It’s part of my job I can talk about anything, it’s a skill I’ve honed in on in my 7 years with the business. I can even talk to you about the weather with complete sincerity. Hot, cold, I’m with you. It’s a struggle. 

I can sit in silence if that’s what you need, I’ll do my job we’ll both go through the motion and continue with our days. 

I can pack your bags or leave you to it. I’m adaptable nothings a haste. I’ll get someone to fetch replacements. I’ll listen to you bash my place of work and I’ll give out a half hearted apology. Prices, products moving aisles, items being discontinued all well out of my pay grade. But I’m the face you see so I’ll listen.  

So your bad day is not an excuse for a shitty attitude. I’ve got some surprising news for you we all have them, some of us just have to learn to cope. 

Screaming at the girl who gets just a little more than minimum wage isn’t going to change your mood but it’s going to change hers. 

And that’s where I was twenty minutes before my shift ended last night. Someone was taking there bad day out on me. Screaming at me for things completely out of my control and I apologised whilst they continued to degrade me in the middle of the store.  

You’d think after 7 years I’d take this kind of  thing on the chin. But last night really got to me.  I was made to feel horrible so that someone who doesn’t know me could let of some steam. Then she put in a complaint in about my attitude. 

It doesn’t cost anything to be nice to someone. Sometimes your better to say nothing at all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment